The oldest building on campus today was not meant to be built at all. As the weather broke in the spring of 1843, Fr. Sorin was eager to begin his plans for a great college in earnest, and that meant construction of a large central building. Supplies and money were tight - and the architect Fr. Sorin believed to be en route had not yet arrived - so the group settled on construction of a two-story building that housed two dormitories, a bakery and a clothes room. Today, “Old College” as it’s called, is a place where seminarians begin their preparatory work.