The Post Office

A man dropping a letter into the mail slot of the front door of Notre Dame's first Post Office built in 1856, located east of the present location of the Sorin Statue on the Main Quad, c1890s.

There’s a reason there’s a “Notre Dame, Indiana.” In 1850, Fr. Sorin began petitioning the federal government to locate a post office on campus. Beyond the convenience factor, Sorin knew there were many other benefits associated with having a federal facility on the campus, including the opportunity to generate revenue, the inclusion of Notre Dame on all official government maps, and the assurance that roads leading to the campus would be better maintained. After some persuading, the federal government established a post office at Notre Dame on Jan. 6, 1851. Fr. Sorin was appointed postmaster, a position he held until his death in 1893.